Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Departures & arrivals

This is what happens every day. My 15 month old, after sleeping through the night, wakes up and starts calling for me. I carry him from his crib to the bedroom, feed him, and he falls asleep again, usually waking again for the day sometime after I've left for work.

After I've fed him, I sleep again until I get up for work. The most poignant part of my day is waking up with him snuggled up against me, curled towards me, or with his head touching me while the rest of his body may be angled away. I've seen him in his sleep adjust and shuffle to be closer to me. He craves contact. I let him sleep on, leaving the darkened room to face the day.

When I return, I start to think of him on the short commute home. He in turn reportedly becomes restless half an hour before as he starts to anticipate me. The best part of my day is being reunited. Every working day we are separated, and then restored. The arrivals nearly make up for the departures.

No comments:

Post a Comment