Monday, August 15, 2011

Sometimes a stranger

I am so familiar with your emotional ebb and flow. I know when you are content by how you lay your head on me. I recognize your rising frustration and how to defuse it. I can make you laugh over and over again. Still, sometimes, since you change moment to moment, on weekends we become reacquainted as I 'catch up.' On the school preschool play set, I am an arm's length away as you lie on your belly and go down the slide backwards.

I listen as you babble, pre-sleep, practicing blowing raspberries and laughing as I touch the tip of your tongue. As you sling both arms around me and hold on intently, willing me not to go, the purity of your desire brings tears to my eyes.

And when I think you've forgotten something, you wait until we have a quiet moment and show me you haven't. I kiss you on the cheek, and you blow me kisses back.

Fifteen months old and you astonish me every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment