Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Curriculum night

I went to curriculum night at the school, and invited my mom, a newly retired teacher with 25 years of primary/junior experience. Dad nursed his cold at home.

Some routines were reinforced, and we heard from the teachers and ECEs. What I really go to hear is not what is said about the strands and expectations of the curriculum, but what underlies the program. It's not what's said, but how it's said, and the stance that is taken towards the children, and the parents. Do they talk down to the children and the parents, or do they explain why they ask for things to be done a certain way? Do they make small jokes at the expense of the children, and use sarcasm, or do they have a nurturing, sympathetic manner to the challenges of being a 3-5 year old seeking to become more independent? Even at drop-off and pick-up, I attend to how they look at, talk to, and treat the kids who are still waiting for their adults to arrive. It's more telling than what they say to the kids in front of their doting mothers.

At minimum, I want to hear "I care about your child's well-being, and I'm here to teach him." Better is: "I have the patience to teach all the children, and to also take the time to get to know your child as an individual, and do what I think/feel is best for him." Best is something like: 'I enjoy children, LOVE your child, and wholeheartedly support his contribution to the class! I look forward to collaborating with the family to ensure his success!"

Note that best is always with exclamation marks! Passion!

My mom picked up the same positive elements as I have: from his teacher - a level of calm, patience, and maturity; and from the ECE - a kind and gentle manner. She saw them as being a good fit for Tyler. She also loved the library at first sight, as I did too. A well-stocked library is always a good sign.

I'm also hyperaware to the dynamics and power balances/imbalances between the teacher and the ECE, and to the teams to one another. Just like the adult relationships in a home are models of behavior for children, so is this relationship important to the children. It can be tricky to manage a hierarchical, uneven structure like this one. The roles are different, and there is some overlap, but both are important to the well-being of the children. So far it seems like a respectful, healthy relationship.

So that's a wrap!

No comments:

Post a Comment