Thursday, September 4, 2014

Ready for kindergarten

We are uber-focused on the 4-year old today. We take him to the dentist, and while I zone out on the ledge, dad (who dislikes dentist visits) holds Tyler's hand throughout, standing over him and reassuring him, adjusting him so he is comfortable in the big chair that's not ergonomically fitted for a kindergartener. The hygienist still looks past him to address me on hard-to-reach spots for brushing and on flossing, and I'm not sure if it's a compliment or insult to assume I'd be the one more involved in my kids' dental hygiene.

After Tyler's appointment, I realize anew we don't need to bring his own toys, as we occupy ourselves with verbal games like "I Spy," explore the waiting area and neighboring corner store/dry-clean business, read Dr. Seuss books, play with the treasure chest toy (green brachiosaurus), and check on dad having his own appointment. I realize by testing him on a whim that he understands the concept of addition, and can add/remember
 small sum totals in his head, or can count fingers to come up with a total. We recall that he has 20 teeth, and 10 plus 10 equals 20.

Later that evening, he exercises choices for what to pack for his snacks and lunch tomorrow, samples the contents, and helps pack it away.

He is enthusiastic as we give him last minute tips of what to and what not to do.

And there he goes to bed with a minimum or fuss, poking his head out to give me a big good-night.

Tomorrow I dress him in a brand new shirt and we send him off into the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment