Sunday, September 21, 2014

The appeal of dinosaurs

Tyler is on a dinosaur kick, which means I'm feeding that interest with cut-out paper dinosaurs and fact cards, dinosaur books, dinosaur colouring & activity books, and episodes of "Dino Dan."

I've tried to figure out what makes them so interesting. My best guesses:

-fun to say & remember their tongue-twister multi-syllabic names
-fun to be an expert in something and teach others around you
-scope for imagination: large, predatory & sharp-toothed carnivores; enormous herbivores; fliers; swimmers
-extension of interest in animals
-relation to seeing dinosaur skeletetons at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM)

In any case, I'm happy enough to hear all day long about the triceratops (his favourite), the spinosaurus, brachiosaurus, stegosaurus, etc.

It's a strange culture, this kid-land. I don't know any adults who obsess over dinosaurs...

No comments:

Post a Comment